This is a sad and bitter post. Actually, it’s just a post about a sad, sad, sorry looking sweater(s).
Rona and I (a many of our Craft Night Gals) had been eagerly waiting to make a cute little J-Crew embroidered heart sweater. The image had been circulating Pinterest for some time. And plus, the directions seemed so simple, and the results so cute.
The week leading up to this project, Rona and I searched for sweaters to embroider. We searched through the sale racks at Old Navy and Target. Rona found a cute little purple number at Target. I could not find a thing under $15. So, I searched my closet…
We followed the directions. And we stitched. And stitched. A special guest (Finn) even joined the Craft Night fun with some painting of his own.
Finn looks on… I’m still stitching in the background…
Our other Craft Night friends had finished their crafts and left. Even Lil Lisa busted out her cute embroidered “Love” canvas and that rarely happens! But Rona and I?? We kept on stitching. Out of delirium and the impending slap of reality (we had been stitching now for over 2 hours), I started joking that my sweater was going to really whomp.
And whomp it did…
It was sad and so was I.
Not as sad as I would have been IF I would have shelled out money for a new sweater just to ruin.
I keep saying, I’ll try it again, and when I do, I’ll let you know If I have any tips for success. For now, though, I guess I will wallow in my loss!
Share the post "“What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?”"
The inspiration for L’s nursery came from this print, a little gem I found at Home Goods. I laid my eyes on it before I was pregnant. I loved the colors and whimsy. It reminded me of an old fashioned nursery. When it went on clearance for 10 bucks I knew it was meant to be. So I bought it and hid it from the hubs it sat in a closet for almost two years.
When we found out we were having a little girl, I imagined a girly, timeless and crisp nursery. I wanted L’s room to be a functional space that can be easily transitioned into a big girl room down the line.
After staring at dozens of paint chips taped around the inspiration print, I chose a subtle lavender with a slight gray undertone (barely lavender by Valspar) or as my husband calls it, purple. We went with no VOC paint, a must for nurseries and pregnant mommas. For this small space I wanted to create a focal wall that would open things up a bit and add some interest. I thought about stripes, stencils and vinyl decal. Perhaps it’s the math teacher in me that made me go with the geometric open circles. I think they mirror polka dots which is a classic pattern and a personal favorite.
When it came to the furniture we chose pieces that were made in US and constructed with natural non-toxic materials (paint, sealer, fabric, etc). I was in love with the crib we initially picked out. The little details in its design and the gray-white wash color made it the perfect compliment to the white book shelf we already owned and the wall color. But it was out of stock! The manufacture put us on the wait list. We waited and we waited…Imagine the horror when you are 34 weeks pregnant and still no crib! Yes, L didn’t actually sleep in her crib till she was 5 months old but I didn’t know that. And let’s be honest, we know who this nursery was really for. Out of fear, we settled for our second choice made by the same company. The design is girlier than the original and it’s white (I didn’t want matching white furniture), but I think it compliments the circles on the wall nicely. The rocker and matching ottoman, though were made by the same company, were sold by two different stores. We bought both online and crossed our fingers hoping that the “sage” color were the same. We got lucky!
Her dresser/changing table was a thrift store find that my husband refinished and painted. He wanted to make something for his little girl. I think it’s so sweet. The space above the dresser needed something to balance the circles on the opposing wall. This something needed to be the right scale, nursery friendly and the right colors. I looked to Pinterest for inspirations. Then I came across these alphabet cards by The Handmade Home. “H is for High Heels”, perfect for a little girl’s room. Swoon! And these are free printables!
I added a few DIY-ed finishing touches in yellow and orange to tie everything together.
Stayed tuned for more posts on the DIY projects in L’s nursery.
So we’re a mere 4 days from Valentine’s Day and I am still trying to get some sort of Valentine’s display going. As someone who had no decorations, I’m happy with the few things I have set up. This year was a start (last minute at that), and I know it can only get better for next year.
While I was perusing in Michaels, I saw lots of tiny balls made out of flowers. They almost looked like kissing balls, but on a much smaller scale. They came in hot pink, red, white, multi-color glitter, and many other pastel colors. I liked the idea but not the colors, so I decided to make my own flower ball.
Here they are:
What you need:
Styrofoam balls—I used one 4 inch and one 3 inch, both of which I already had
Flower blooms of your choice—I raided the clearance section of Michaels
This was the easiest craft I’ve ever done. I am known to choose crafts that are detailed or involved, but not this time! Take that Grace and Rona
Cut off all of the blooms from the stems. Do not cut off the harder plastic piece that joins the bloom to the stem! You can see this piece more clearly in Step 2’s photo.
Stick the blooms into the Styrofoam. Stick them close together so none of the Styrofoam peeks through.
Continue this until you work your way all around the ball. Since my blooms were snug I had no worries they would fall out of the Styrofoam. (I’ve dropped it, tossed it into the air to test this, and those bad boys stayed put.)
Admire your handiwork. These took me about 15 minutes per ball to complete.